I got a phone call from the school at 3:00 and they told me that I needed to come and pick Rachel up from school because she had cut her fingers and they did not think it was a good idea for her to ride the bus home.
I jumped in the van and headed for the school. When I got there I was met at the door by one of the office ladies who escorted me into the sick room, where I found Rachel surrounded by 4 other women all hovering around her. It scared me half to death!!! She was holding a big bloody gob of paper towel on her fingers and sitting on a chair looking VERY scared! I took a quick peek at her fingers (I do not like blood! It makes me weak in the knees) and decided we had better get her checked out. I loaded her in the van and called Brian to let him know we where headed to the doctor. I asked her if she wanted to go to the ER or to the doctor and she said that she wanted to go to the doctor. She was convinced that it would be less scary there. So we went to the InstaCare. When we got there, there was a line at the desk and we were about 10 people back. I was trying to talk her into going up to the ER because I was sure we wouldn't have to wait there but she would not hear of it. We SLOWLY made our way up to the sign in sheet on the desk. She was really pale and had tears running down her cheeks (still holding the big gob of bloody paper towels). When we got up to the desk the clerk looked at her and was so nice!! She moved us in front of all the other sick people and took us straight back. Rachel was SCARED TO DEATH that she was going to have to have stitches (and in all honesty so was I, not something that I want to have to witness EVER!) They were so gentle with her and the nurse cleaned her all up and got her all ready for the doctor to come and look at her. Rachel was so brave and did not cry AT ALL the whole time they were cleaning her fingers. The doctor came in an looked at her and decided that he would glue her fingers instead of stitching them. He said he could do it either way but the shots for stitches would hurt A LOT so we decided glue was the way to go. She was very brave! Hopefully they will heal fast and she will be good as new before we know it!
After it was all said and done we found out that she had cut her fingers on a #10 can that they were passing around to put their reading minutes in. It had a jagged edge on it from the can opener and Rachel was trying to get the can away from another boy who was not "sharing". Mrs. Wixom (her teacher) called to check on her and assured me that they will not be using the can in the classroom anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment